Current:Home > FinanceIsrael tells U.S. its current phase of heavy fighting likely to finish in 2-3 weeks, two officials say -Capitatum
Israel tells U.S. its current phase of heavy fighting likely to finish in 2-3 weeks, two officials say
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:22:11
The Israelis have told the U.S. that the current phase of their offensive against Hamas, with heavy air strikes and a large ground operation, should be complete in the next 2-3 weeks, according to two U.S. officials.
One official cautioned that this would not mean an end to combat operations, but it would bring about a reduced intensity and a lower level of bombing with more targeted strikes while the Israelis pursue the remaining leadership of Hamas.
In a meeting with national security adviser Jake Sullivan Thursday, the Israeli defense minister said the war "will last more than several months," predicting the next phase of targeted raids is likely to be a long one.
The U.S. has been urging Israel to do more to protect civilians as it conducts its offensive. Earlier this week, President Biden warned that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government was losing international support due to "indiscriminate bombing" in the densely populated region. And on Thursday, during a visit to the National Institutes of Health, the president was asked if he wants Israel to scale back its offensive.
"I want them to be focused on how to save civilian lives," he replied. "Not stop going after Hamas, but to be more careful."
The Biden administration has been facing mounting criticism for its response to the war, including the U.S.' refusal to call for a new cease-fire. The White House and Netanyahu have argued that any new truce would allow Hamas militants to regroup.
Health officials in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip say more than 18,000 people have been killed during the conflict. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has shown no willingness to ease the bombing campaign in southern Gaza despite catastrophic losses of civilian life and uncertainty over the fate of more than 100 hostages who are still believed to be held in the territory.
Israel's military says Hamas militants killed 1,200 and kidnapped over 200 in their Oct. 7 terror rampage across southern Israel. About half the hostages have been released, most of them during a week-long cease-fire.
Ed O'Keefe and Tucker Reals contributed to this report.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
David Martin is CBS News' National Security Correspondent.
veryGood! (26961)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- With his mind fresh and body rejuvenated, LeBron James ready to roll with Lakers again
- How Gwyneth Paltrow Really Feels About That Weird Ski Crash Trial 6 Months After Victory
- 'He survived': Texas community raises money for 6-year-old attacked with baseball bat in home invasion
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Powerball jackpot reaches $1.04 billion. Here's how Monday's drawing became the fourth largest.
- Supreme Court to hear CFPB case Tuesday, with agency's future in the balance
- Hunter Biden returning to court for arraignment on federal gun charges
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Giants' season is already spiraling out of control after latest embarrassment in prime time
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Rep. Matt Gaetz files resolution to oust Kevin McCarthy as speaker of the House
- Selena Gomez Addresses Dua Lipa Feud Rumors After Unfollowing Her on Instagram
- 'He survived': Texas community raises money for 6-year-old attacked with baseball bat in home invasion
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Schumer to lead a bipartisan delegation of senators to China, South Korea and Japan next week
- Jodie Turner-Smith files for divorce from husband Joshua Jackson, asks for joint custody
- Plans to accommodate transgender swimmers at a World Cup meet scrapped because of lack of entries
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Brewers' Brandon Woodruff is out for NL wild-card series – and maybe longer
Federal judges to hear input on proposed new congressional lines in Alabama
Juvenile shoots, injures 2 children following altercation at Pop Warner football practice in Florida
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
South Asia is expected to grow by nearly 6% this year, making it the world’s fastest-growing region
House Republican duo calls for fraud probe into federal anti-poverty program
Department of Defense official charged with running dogfighting ring